Thursday, September 6

Jambalaya Red Beans & Rice


1 bag (12 oz) frozen, deveined shelled cooked small shrimp
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 c)
3/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken, cut
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 dried bay leaves
15.5 oz can red beans, drained, rinsed
6 oz can tomato paste
14.5 oz can garlic-seasoned diced tomatoes, undrained
1 tsp sugar
3 tsp dried Creole seasoning
1/2 lb precooked Kielbasa, halved lengthwise, 1 inch slices ** I use a full pound
4 c uncooked instant rice (white or brown)
water

Thaw shrimp in fridge. In slow cooker, layer onion, chicken, garlic, bay leaves, beans, tomato paste, tomatoes, sugar and Creole seasoning.

Cover, cook on low 6-8 hours.

35 min before serving, remove and discard bay leaves. If necessary, remove tail shells from thawed shrimp; gently stir in shrimp and sausage into chicken mixture.

Increase heat to high - cover - 20-30 min more.

Cook rice in water as directed on package.

Serve meat mixture over rice. If desired serve with red pepper sauce.

**Corn bread tastes excellent with this!

Source: Pillsbury Slow Cooker 2005




post signature

5 comments:

Just Mom said...

Oh, that looks YUMMY!

Joyfull said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! Jambalya is a favorite for my guys, but I never thought to put shrimp in it, they would love that! Thanks!

kdwhorses said...

That looks great!! I would never have thought about doing it in a slow cooker, I bet the flavors mesh so much better over that long time. I will have to try it.

Short Stop said...

This looks really delicious! I love Jambalaya! :)

Lisa H said...

This looks and sounds SO good! I've never tried (or heard of) jambalaya. I'm printing this one to try soon. Do your kids like this dish? My kids aren't picky, but I don't think I've ever served them anything with shrimp in it. Or Kielbasa either, for that matter. Anyway, thanks for the recipe ideas and thank you for the sweet comment on my blog! :)