Sunday, December 2

Croquettes


In the past, I've made these with chicken - but they were an excellent way to use leftover turkey!

I'm listing the recipe first, as given in the cookbook - but I've included how we make them.

2 c chicken (or turkey) cooked and cubed
1 tsp salt
1 tsp onion salt
2 Tbsp chopped celery
Pepper to taste
Un-salted saltines

White sauce:
2 Tbsp butter
2 1/2 Tbsp flour
1 c milk

Cook white sauce until thickened. Mix white sauce with chicken mixture. Form into balls. Dip balls in crushed saltines*, then into beaten eggs and again into crumbs. Fry in fat 3 to 5 minutes. Can be frozen. Reheat at 400 for 20 minutes.

*If using salted saltines, reduce salt in chicken mixture.

Personal Variation: I do not dip them into the eggs or do the second cracker dip.

We fry** them if we are eating them right away - but I like to make them ahead and freeze. After dipping them into the crackers, I put them on a wax paper covered cookie sheet. I place it in the freezer for a few hours until solid. Then I put them all in a freezer bag.  Thaw before baking - spray both sides with cooking spray and put on a cookie sheet. Bake at 400 for 20 min. Serve with chicken gravy.

**I fry them in a small amount of olive oil.

Source: New W.O. Church Cookbook




post signature

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mmmm...those look SO good, Leigh Ann! I'll be right over! ;0)

Kelli