Saturday, July 28

Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole

1 (6.2) pkg fast cooking long grain& wild rice (Uncle Ben’s)
2 Tbsp butter
1 c medium onion, chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 (8 oz.) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
2½ cups chopped, cooked chicken
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 (10 ¾ oz. ) can cream of mushroom soup
8 oz sour cream
1/2 c milk
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Prepare rice according to package directions. Set aside.

Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add onion, celery, and water chestnuts. Sauté 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.

Stir vegetables into rice. Add chicken, 1 1/2 cups cheese, & next 5 ingredients. Mix well. Spoon mixture into lightly greased 4 quart casserole dish. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese. Bake 5 more minutes.

Source: I found this recipe on Tracy's blog and our family has come to love it! She now has it posted on her new cooking blog, Mama's Fixins. Here's the link to her recipe.

Personal Variation: I cut her recipe in half and it makes a full 9x13 dish for us (I always add extra chicken). Above is the recipe for a half portion and the picture shows how much it makes. Its a perfect to make and freeze or to share a meal with another family.

4 comments:

Short Stop said...

This looks delicious! (And the picture is GREAT!!) I love water chestnuts. I love the crunch they give to recipes! Thanks for sharing!

Short Stop said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

Sounds delicious! I can't wait to try it!

TO BECOME said...

This one sounds good and very easy. It will be good to also take to our church fellowships. Thanks again. connie from Texas