Wednesday, August 20

Stromboli

1 loaf frozen bread dough, thawed
2 Tbsp dijon mustard
4 thin slices ham
4 slices hard salami
1 lb cooked loose sausage
5 slices American cheese
1/2 c shredded mozzarella
1/4 c chopped green pepper
1/4 c chopped onion
1/4 c mushrooms
Pizza sauce
Cooking spray
Oregano

Roll thawed bread dough with a rolling pin to cover a cookie sheet. Spread mustard on dough. Place ham, salami, American cheese and sausage don the center in layers. Sprinkle the green pepper, onion, mushrooms and mozzarella cheese over the meats. Add a little pizza sauce. Fold sides over top and pinch ends together to seal. Lay seam side down. Spray cooking oil on top and sprinkle with oregano. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

Our Variations:
- Use dry pizza crust mix in place of frozen bread dough (mix crust according to package directions)
- Sauté onions, peppers and mushrooms with sausage.
- Substitute Provolone cheese for American
- Add more/less of anything you enjoy in stromboli. I'm not sure I ever make the same kind twice.
- Buy bag of 5 frozen loaves to prepare and freeze. Wrap tightly in saran wrap and then aluminum foil.

post signature

2 comments:

Humble wife said...

Yummy...sounds like a calzone?! Maybe they are the same?

I make my dough from scratch, but I will add the meats(I use pepperoni and ground sausage)... and I have never used the mustard.
Thanks for adding to my recipe file:)!
Jennifer
pen of jen

Lori said...

That sounds and looks delicious!